Forecast for the Future

"Every individual without exception bears a potential writer within himself. The reason is that everyone has trouble accepting the fact that he will disappear unheard of and unnoticed in an indifferent universe, and everyone wants to make himself into a universe of words before it's too late. 

Once the writer in every individual comes to life (and that time is not that far off), we are in for an age of universal deafness and lack of understanding."

- Milan Kundera, The Book of Laughter and Forgetting

Monday, March 30, 2009

Month Three: Food



I will elaborate more on this in a few days, but next month my Hyperliving focus will be on FOOD. The Master Cleanse I did earlier this month really got me thinking a lot more about the importance of eating healthily (and economically sensibly), and I have tried hard since then to consider more carefully what I choose to eat, but in April I will go deeper into examining what I choose to eat and how to make better decisions that include eating healthier food, cooking more, and spending less money on it all.

At least two structured weeks for the month will include a week of being vegetarian, to consider the art of gourmet cuisine sans meat, and a week of only raw foods for a tough challenge (and since I already did the vegan thing). I am also going to keep a log all month of all the foods I consume and will evaluate them in a yet-to-be-determined fashion. I'm concerned about going too deeply as far as calorie counts go since my goal is NOT to lose weight or even start thinking about that kind of decision-making; however, I will do some research into plainly unhealthy food parts that I just want to work on cutting down or avoiding (high fructose corn syrup###), MSG and bad cholesterols. Also on the radar if I can possibly fit it in will be a week of trying new foods, possibly in new locations across New York, but it will be a bit of a challenge since I will be spending six days in Berlin for work in the middle of the month. But these days, I like challenges.

So yes yes, Here's to Food!


NOTES:
### - Please watch the video for the high fructose corn syrup link if you haven't seen it already. This is one of a series of commercials the corn industry is pumping now to attempt to re-dupe consumers who finally are beginning to figure out the dangers and general unhealthiness of HFCS. Some have drawn parallels to ads shown years ago made by the Tobacco Industry to downplay the harmful effects of cigarettes and nicotine, and truly, though HFCS doesn't approach that level of badness, there is more or less no difference in the greed-driven amorality of it.

Digg this

1 comment:

Logan said...

Not to be a pest, but: we need a new post, please! And what's the big deal about corn syrup? "It's fine in moderation." Tee hee.

Hyperliving Google Calendar, Click + to Subscribe