Forecast for the Future

"Every individual without exception bears a potential writer within himself. The reason is that everyone has trouble accepting the fact that he will disappear unheard of and unnoticed in an indifferent universe, and everyone wants to make himself into a universe of words before it's too late. 

Once the writer in every individual comes to life (and that time is not that far off), we are in for an age of universal deafness and lack of understanding."

- Milan Kundera, The Book of Laughter and Forgetting

Monday, March 30, 2009

Biking / Health Continued

Despite weather talk making me think I would spend most of the weekend indoors, the rain largely stayed away on Saturday and I'm happy to report that I again biked about 80 miles this weekend, on two nearly-identical 38 mile rides.

Also, I meant to have mentioned it earlier this week, but on Monday I decided to set the somewhat arbitrary goal that I would bike 1500 miles by the end of September. This number seems pretty big, but it's actually pretty modest, and after this weekend, I'm already up to 230 miles for the year since my first big ride on March 14. Considering that I plan to do at least two "centuries" (the Montauk in May and NYC in September) and that I theoretically plan to bike to work 4-5 days a week this summer, I should have no trouble hitting this goal and may even be able to strive for as many as 2500 or so.

Hilariously--given my general obsessive craziness with numbers and quantification--I still don't have a computer for my bike, but this has turned into good fortune as not having one spurred me to decide that it would be a good idea to start a log to track all of the rides I take this summer. That way I will know exactly how many I've taken and how far I've gone, the routes I've taken and who I may have ridden with. I'll be interested in check out my monthly/weekendly ride totals, as well as the percentages I ride to certain places and with certain people, so I'm very curious to see how things will turn out.

Digg this

No comments:

Hyperliving Google Calendar, Click + to Subscribe