Forecast for the Future

"Every individual without exception bears a potential writer within himself. The reason is that everyone has trouble accepting the fact that he will disappear unheard of and unnoticed in an indifferent universe, and everyone wants to make himself into a universe of words before it's too late. 

Once the writer in every individual comes to life (and that time is not that far off), we are in for an age of universal deafness and lack of understanding."

- Milan Kundera, The Book of Laughter and Forgetting

Monday, March 9, 2009

Hyperliving in the Rest of March



So I made it through a rather challenging week one and I feel absolutely great. I’m very much a man of slingshot euphoria but nonetheless my whole being feels in tune with the world right now.


I’m utilizing this good feeling to begin making some plans for the now and soon-down-the-road, including getting geared up for some rad bikes: Montauk Century most importantly--and its weekly pre-race training rides--the 5 Boro Ride and anything else I can do (though honestly, i am interested in doing group rides that don't cost money--the Montauk ride is fun and all, but $70 is a bummer just for the privilege of riding my bike).

But also though, I'm making plans this week to streamline and improve the efficiency and quality of my life, beginning with physical health. Making plans for biking is just part of an overall desire to get fitter, happier and more productive. I have decided that once it gets warm I am going to forgo the monthly MetroCard and bike to work all summer, as well as--much much bigger stretches--begin incorporating some other activity like more walking and maybe even some weight lifting or running. Additionally, next week's activity is going to focus specifically on trying to address my inhuman sleep patterns, which is to say that there are none other than "sleep as little as I can allow myself".

My last goal for the month, which will come into play again down the road, is an evaluation of my (often questionable) financial decision-making. At the recommendation of Ben D, I opened an account on Mint.com to help put my finances in perspective and already it's become crystal clear to me that I need to redress my old habit patterns with new and improved ones. Starting Monday I began making my lunch every day and have devised a number of other simple and immediate ways to slowly maximize my geld-possibilities and increase my opportunities for unexpected excitement or financial-lifeprotection at a future turn down the road.

So....it's on, as they say. The competition against myself to keep making my life better and not accept the status quo (even if it is a more favorable status quo than say, a year ago). Last year I stopped treading water and started swimming toward shore, and now that I've decided which land to swim toward it's time to make some real plans and put them in motion. There are many new possibilities swimming in my head but I feel like I finally am getting a sense now how I might be able to see them to fruition.


Digg this

No comments:

Hyperliving Google Calendar, Click + to Subscribe