Forecast for the Future

"Every individual without exception bears a potential writer within himself. The reason is that everyone has trouble accepting the fact that he will disappear unheard of and unnoticed in an indifferent universe, and everyone wants to make himself into a universe of words before it's too late. 

Once the writer in every individual comes to life (and that time is not that far off), we are in for an age of universal deafness and lack of understanding."

- Milan Kundera, The Book of Laughter and Forgetting

Monday, March 31, 2008

Week 12, Rock and Roll: The Equipment

Some notes on equipment and errata:

All of the recording for The Heart Beats. rock and roll week was done in Garageband, piped in through Imanant's Tascam Portastudio 424 mk III mixer into an Edirol USB audio capture device. We used instruments from a variety of sources, including Imanant's sea green Fender Jag-stang, Jay's "red guitar", and various drum kit pieces from members of Doorknobs' and Imanant's respective bands. And perhaps most excitingly of all, we also used my shitty twelve year old entry-level Squire Stratocaster, which my mom gave to me as a birthday present when I was in eight grade. Picture is below:

What is particularly exciting about the fact that we used my guitar is that right now it is fully-operational for the first time in about five to seven years.

Beyond my own non-playing (it's not really a chicken-or-egg deal), the guitar has been out of use for so many years due to the fact that the sound output didn't seem to work well when plugged into an amp. In order to make any sound, I would constantly have to fiddle with the cable positioning, always leading to a point where I would ultimately quit in exasperation. When I pulled it out of the metaphorical closet last week though for rock band week, I decided I would try it out, but once again the sound failed.

I decided to autopsy up the guitar to see if I could find some answers. After opening the plug input, I noticed that the black wire in the photo above was frayed and almost entirely separated from the plug. Exasperated, I at first put the guitar down assuming it was done, but on Thursday at work I was overcome with the idea that it would probably be a pretty easy thing to have fixed and, being that i'm trying to be a go-getter these days, I promised myself I'd get it resolved after work.

Sure enough, I took the guitar down to Main Drag Music in my neighborhood and their incredibly helpful guitar tech was able to fix the problem in about 45 seconds--all he had to do was re-solder the black wire and WD-40 the pick-ups connections and VOILA! a working guitar again. I also decided it was high time to get some new strings to replace the old (which surely hadn't been replaced since 1999 or 2000) and so an hour later I had a working guitar with shiny new strings that didn't go out of tune in only five minutes of light playing.

It was like getting a new Christmas present and I am positively jubilant about it. All of the lead guitar recorded Saturday was played on my guitar and I look forward to playing more on it in the near future.

Digg this

No comments:

Hyperliving Google Calendar, Click + to Subscribe