Forecast for the Future

"Every individual without exception bears a potential writer within himself. The reason is that everyone has trouble accepting the fact that he will disappear unheard of and unnoticed in an indifferent universe, and everyone wants to make himself into a universe of words before it's too late. 

Once the writer in every individual comes to life (and that time is not that far off), we are in for an age of universal deafness and lack of understanding."

- Milan Kundera, The Book of Laughter and Forgetting

Monday, April 14, 2008

Week 15, Day 1 Eating Vegan: Soy Bonanza

Vegan week is upon us (me).

As I said a while back, it was a vegan week last summer that Doorknobs embarked upon that first inspired me to come up with the idea of Hyperliving. Now I'm giving it my own shot.

I've solicited some folks for food ideas already, but if anyone has any great vegan recipes / ideas for lunch they want to share with me, I would be much obliged to hear them.

Here's how Sunday went (explanations to come at time TBD).

First, a photo I've used already: began the day with a joyous cup of coffee, creamed with Soymilk



We then went to Phoebe's, a vegatarian restaurant on Graham, for brunch.





It turned out though that while Phoebe's is vegetarian, they are NOT vegan (nor did they seem to be aware of the veganality of their food (yes, i just made up the word veganality). I ordered a tempeh "BLT" on a pita, with a V8 to drink. After eating half the sandwich, I realized it had mayo on it. Oops. These are the kinds of mistakes I'm certain to make this week--but it was honest and innocent enough, and I'll just try to be more careful as the week goes on.







DINNER

Didn't really snack all afternoon and then went to see Titus Andronicus at the Knitting Factory (filmed by the new Pitchfork TV operation as well) and decided to eat dinner after the show. Ran into these amazing polar bear dogs on the way home.



We went to Black Betty, a Moraccan-centered Meditterranean restaurant also in Williamsburg on Metropolitan. There were a few vegan-ok choices, but I went with the traditional falafel platter, which came with falafel, pita, hummus, tablouleh, babaganuj, olives and feta (which I gave away). We also started with an avocado walnut salad with a lemon vinaigrette.







I did not, though, eat any of this Key Lime Pie for desert. Which didn't make me too bad because I was already full... right....



A solid start to this week. Anybody have any suggestions for eating vegan in midtown, besides bringing my lunch? Just realizing eating lunch there is going to become even more difficult than it's already been.

Digg this

2 comments:

run.happy said...

Try making a 3-bean chili. It's very easy, affordable and will last you for a few days. Also, try cooking with quinoa.

Nihilist Loves Hate, Hates Everything said...

Oh thanks, great idea. i will definitely make the chili this week. (i have never made chili before)

Hyperliving Google Calendar, Click + to Subscribe