Forecast for the Future

"Every individual without exception bears a potential writer within himself. The reason is that everyone has trouble accepting the fact that he will disappear unheard of and unnoticed in an indifferent universe, and everyone wants to make himself into a universe of words before it's too late. 

Once the writer in every individual comes to life (and that time is not that far off), we are in for an age of universal deafness and lack of understanding."

- Milan Kundera, The Book of Laughter and Forgetting

Friday, April 4, 2008

Week 13, Concert Review Day 2: The Dodos

i don't have much time or patience to say much about the Dodos. i saw them in Williamsburg at Sound Fix for free on Monday night and I liked them. These are the notes I typed into my telephone at the time:

San Francisco (reminds me of people i know there and sounds/bands I have heard there)
Skittering metallic drumrim beats that sound like outro to "Videotape" (Radiohead)
>>sometimes alternating with same beat on floor toms

cleantone guitars (no distortion ever)
melodic tones
bells
chants
Here are some very poorly taken photos from my definitely LQ camera:






This dude with the crazy "haircut" came over to give thanks and prayers after their set...


But how do you give prayers and thanks with a "haircut" like this and your jacket around your waist without ALSO getting a high five?

Overall I would say that I liked the Dodos. They are woodsy, nice meshing sound that made me think of San Francisco and surfer woodspeople. There was also a nice rhythmic drone quality to their tunes that I appreciated. Not sure if it was anything to write home to mom about (you know how she likes to jump up and down for a good time), but I will explore the band and their music further.

Here's a Dodos tune:

The Dodos: "Jodi"

Digg this

No comments:

Hyperliving Google Calendar, Click + to Subscribe