Forecast for the Future

"Every individual without exception bears a potential writer within himself. The reason is that everyone has trouble accepting the fact that he will disappear unheard of and unnoticed in an indifferent universe, and everyone wants to make himself into a universe of words before it's too late. 

Once the writer in every individual comes to life (and that time is not that far off), we are in for an age of universal deafness and lack of understanding."

- Milan Kundera, The Book of Laughter and Forgetting

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Week 16, Day 1 Bike Exercise: Round about Brooklyn



Sunday was a pretty good day.

I woke up in a bit of a funk, but the dark clouds subsided after I cooked my first non-vegan meal of blueberry pancakes, bacon, and dairy'd-coffee for me, Doorknobs and our houseguests. The luscious milky goodness of everything touched deeply in my heart; in some way, each bite of food felt like a revelation. The experience of eating "normal food" again after a week of self-imposed deprivation definitely felt of a piece with listening to music again after the torture of Hyperliving's Week 4 of Silence.



After breakfast I dawdled about the house before returning Bessie to her home. Unfortunately a lot of things were on my mind and I began to drift back into a melancholy doldrums. Though it was supposed to be the beginning of Meetings Week, getting my ass kicked in basketball the day before had made me feel self-conscious about being out-of-shape and so I decided to make a last-minute decision to restructure the week's Hyperliving to an exercise activity. Since I'd been on a few semi-decent bike rides recently to different parts of Brooklyn, I decided that biking would be the perfect way to do it.

Bike Week Begins

Knowing that E-bad is a biketrip lover, I asked her to begin the week with me on a nice Sunday afternoon excursion. She suggested that we ride down to Brooklyn Bridge park and watch the boats for a bit, which sounded perfect. Here's the map of our trip (click on the map to see public Google Map):


View Larger Map

As you can see, the total ride was just a hair shy of 9 miles. Which is pretty short ride in the scheme of rides, but a solid lengthy one for me (as someone who basically never bikes). I had a really great time and could tell that my idea for the week was a good one.

After we got back, we invited some friends over, including our respective new roommates, and had ourselves a nice barbeque of beer and burgers. E-bad and her new roommate Em-Jo got then got a fire started and I broke out the camera to begin practicing some more black and whites:


E-bad and Matt act out a scene from The Tempest


Even without the sleeves, he looks like he's ready to destroy


"Ok, so, a rabbi walks into a bar and orders a beer..."

Digg this

1 comment:

E-BAD said...

I believe I asked you out on a ride Sunday. But you invited me today. SO, we're even. Bring your bike upstate next week!

Hyperliving Google Calendar, Click + to Subscribe