Forecast for the Future

"Every individual without exception bears a potential writer within himself. The reason is that everyone has trouble accepting the fact that he will disappear unheard of and unnoticed in an indifferent universe, and everyone wants to make himself into a universe of words before it's too late. 

Once the writer in every individual comes to life (and that time is not that far off), we are in for an age of universal deafness and lack of understanding."

- Milan Kundera, The Book of Laughter and Forgetting

Monday, February 11, 2008

Week 6, Cooking Day 2: Salmon Teriyaki

[Apologies: i'll edit this shit later. literally falling asleep while typing]

Yesterday was a great start as far as attempting to get comfortable (I wasn't), but I wanted today to be even better. I have plans for friends to come over each night of the week to join me in my process, and tonight was a night of what we call in these parts "maximum bro-age," as I was joined by superbestfriends Hot Doorknobs, Shrimp Cracker, and Hyperliving official photographer Ben D (his beautiful photos are featured below).

For such great men, I decided to cook salmon teriyaki, which is an old favorite as well as one the very few legitimate "meals" that I ever used to prepare. Many times--though not all--in the past, however, I would use a teriyaki mix when making this dish, but tonight I knew I needed to make one from scratch. Not like making a teriyaki sauce from scratch is all that complicated either, but I think generally speaking it's nice if you can cook without using any ingredients that feature something called "Xanthum gum".

A quick search on Food.com led me to this and this recipe, and I decided to combine parts of each.

Salmon Teriyaki

For 4 (6-ounce) salmon fillets

1 cup thin soy sauce
5 tablespoons brown sugar
6 tablespoons mirin
5 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 1/2 tablespoon minced peeled, chopped fresh gingerroot
1 tablespoon white sesame seeds

Served with white rice and broccoli. Started with cucumber and green leaf salad, with Asian Sesame marinade dressing.

(scroll below for more)


Ordering my sous chef.

Most recipes either call for broiling or grilling salmon teriyaki; it may just be the crackle and sizzle, but I always prefer grilling/frying when possible.



Laying down the marinated steaks


Nearly ready and cooking nicely.


Some hyperactive maneuvering led me to spray juice all over my T, which Shrimp Cracker very graciously washed for me in the bathroom.


Ahh, the plated meal.


Everyone's ready to sit down and smells good.


Dooknobs engages in a staring concert whilst eating fish.

The salmon turned out great and everyone had a good time. I'm looking forward to each day of the rest of the week, including tomorrow when the Ice Princess comes to teach me about roast chicken.

Digg this

4 comments:

spiffae said...

"Everyone's ready to sit down and smells good."

I'm glad we were all smelling good.

hotdoorknobs said...

I'm also excited to see I was engaged in a staring concert. Sounds avant garde.

Nihilist Loves Hate, Hates Everything said...

A picture's worth a thousand words bro, and sometimes that means words describing events that weren't actually taking place. You certainly look like you're engaged in a staring contest.

hotdoorknobs said...

It definitely does look like I'm involved in a staring contest, but I'm more excited that I'm apparently involved in a staring CONCERT.

Hyperliving Google Calendar, Click + to Subscribe