Forecast for the Future

"Every individual without exception bears a potential writer within himself. The reason is that everyone has trouble accepting the fact that he will disappear unheard of and unnoticed in an indifferent universe, and everyone wants to make himself into a universe of words before it's too late. 

Once the writer in every individual comes to life (and that time is not that far off), we are in for an age of universal deafness and lack of understanding."

- Milan Kundera, The Book of Laughter and Forgetting

Thursday, June 5, 2008

Week 22, NYT Crosswords Day 2, Tuesday: "Where's Waldo?"


This is EmJo's drawing for Tuesday

Tuesday was definitely trickier than Monday, for sure. I also didn't complete it until tonight, because unfortunately (or fortunately, from a certain perspective), I went out for a meet and greet with some good folks, coordinated by "Are we having fun yet?" Queen Dan. And we had lots of fun.

I did get through about half of it though on the subway to work, as this time I bought the paper on my way out the door. I wasn't quite in the proper state of mind to work on it any more on my subway ride home, so I got back to finishing up when I got home tonight.

Tuesday Puzzle, 3 June 2008

Began: 7:11am, 6/3


Finished: 12:14 am, 6/5


The theme for this puzzle was actually kind of awesome--"Where's Waldo?", as defined by clue number 35-Across: "Question posed by a 1987 children's best seller". Clue 43-Across then said "This puzzle's answer to 35-Across (spelled out four times)--and sure enough, as you can see, the word W-A-L-D-O can be seen descending diagonally inward from each of the four corners. I, as a crossword newbie, found this to be kind of amazing.

I got angry with question 59-Down: "Phila.-to-Miami dir.," the answer of which was "SSW". I kind of say, "Fuck you, Shortz" to that, because I feel like there should be a rule stating that you can't travel to Miami from anywhere within the continental United States and have your direction be "south-by-southwest". Grrr.

Also, E-bad, who assisted a bit on solving some of these, took issue with clue 26-Across, "Long March participants", as she insists that "The Long March took place before the development of the cult of personality and therefore the answer cannot be "Maoists" as listed. What do you say to that, Shortz?

As suggested by the Shrimp Cracker, I have decided to re-watch Wordplay this week in honor of my activities.

Digg this

No comments:

Hyperliving Google Calendar, Click + to Subscribe