Forecast for the Future

"Every individual without exception bears a potential writer within himself. The reason is that everyone has trouble accepting the fact that he will disappear unheard of and unnoticed in an indifferent universe, and everyone wants to make himself into a universe of words before it's too late. 

Once the writer in every individual comes to life (and that time is not that far off), we are in for an age of universal deafness and lack of understanding."

- Milan Kundera, The Book of Laughter and Forgetting

Monday, June 2, 2008

Week 22 Crossword Challenge



This week I'm going for something different.

As you know, I love incorporating the unique and interesting talents of my friends into my Hyperliving activities. I feel blessed that I know so many folks with great skills and knowledge, and that they've put time into me and my project to help me get going.

This week my "Hyperliving Challenge" is inspired by my new and great friend EmJo: to do the New York Times crossword puzzle every day, starting with Monday.

This activity is exciting to me because I love word games but I've always been bad at crossword puzzles, to the extent of feeling somewhat self-conscious about it. I'm pretty sure that I have never actually even finished one NYT crossword puzzle in my life, so obviously this week is going to be a hell of a challenge to actually complete. But as always, I am ready to try (and fail, if necessary).

Where does EmJo fit into the world of crosswords? Well, not only does she do the NYT crossword every day, but she adds an entirely addition level of choosing a few answers and then drawing a picture based on them, overlaid on top of the day's grid (the image in this post being an example). She then post them all on her website, emilyjocureton.com/follies.

I have asked EmJo to help me out and give me some tips, and so therefore, as a supplemental goal for this week is that I will also attempt to do one EmJo-inspired crossword drawing.

We'll see how it goes. I expect a lot of frustration... and as the week goes on, less and less answers. But note: because I recognize that it will be almost impossible for me to do these entirely on my own, I will be expecting to get a lot of help from EmJo and other folks as I struggle along the way.

Digg this

No comments:

Hyperliving Google Calendar, Click + to Subscribe