Forecast for the Future

"Every individual without exception bears a potential writer within himself. The reason is that everyone has trouble accepting the fact that he will disappear unheard of and unnoticed in an indifferent universe, and everyone wants to make himself into a universe of words before it's too late. 

Once the writer in every individual comes to life (and that time is not that far off), we are in for an age of universal deafness and lack of understanding."

- Milan Kundera, The Book of Laughter and Forgetting

Thursday, June 5, 2008

Week 22, Day 3 Wednesday: Things That Break



For Wednesday's puzzle, for the first time I needed to rely a bit more on some additional clues from EmJo to get me unstuck. I could notice for sure how much more immediately difficult it was to get started, and, of course, how that difficulty continued throughout the puzzle.

Began: 10:11pm, 6/4




Began: 11:42pm, 6/4


As you may note, I actually began this puzzle before I finished Tuesday because I'd gotten held up and felt like starting anew. The theme to today was "things that break," and was represented by answers like "curveball," "daylight," "kids toys" and "oceanwaves." EmJo said I picked a boring week to get started on crosswording, as the themes for this week have all been pretty Zzzzz.

Mostly so far I'm feeling good about the way I'm forcing myself to stay relaxed and focused, as NYT crosswords usually stress me out completely and I give up after only a short while. I suspect, however, that today's and tomorrow's puzzles will test this newfound patience and calm as I struggle to get even an answer or two. We'll see.

Digg this

No comments:

Hyperliving Google Calendar, Click + to Subscribe