Forecast for the Future

"Every individual without exception bears a potential writer within himself. The reason is that everyone has trouble accepting the fact that he will disappear unheard of and unnoticed in an indifferent universe, and everyone wants to make himself into a universe of words before it's too late. 

Once the writer in every individual comes to life (and that time is not that far off), we are in for an age of universal deafness and lack of understanding."

- Milan Kundera, The Book of Laughter and Forgetting

Monday, February 4, 2008

Next Four Weeks of Hyperliving: February


Celebrating after the Super Bowl with a cigarette in the fire.

I've made it through one full month of Hyperliving and am feeling good so far. An unbelievable amount of strange and mostly wonderful things happened to me in January and I can only hope that February even approaches that level of craziness. When I decided to do this project, I knew I was making a commitment to something that I wouldn't back out of, but nonetheless I feel proud that I've made it this far without hitting more than a bumps in the road.

As you may have noticed, I added the next four weeks of Hyperliving to the blog and the Google Calendar. Here they are:

Week 5, Feb 3-Feb 10: Week of Religious Studies (Sunday overlap)
Week 6, Feb 10-Feb 16: Week of Cooking Actual Meals (suggestions requested)
Week 7, Feb 17-Feb 23: Week of Daily Art Projects (suggestions requested)
Week 8, Feb 24-Mar 1: Week Without A Cell Phone

A few brief words on the above:
- Since I took yesterday off for the Super Bowl and to recover from last week, I'm extending Week 5 to overlap onto Sunday, February 10. This will now be a double-duty day, with religion in the morning/day and a meal at night.
- And on the topic of cooking, though I have some ideas in mind, I'd love to hear suggestions anyone might have for easy but nice meals that a person with limited knowledge/experience (but a lot of heart!) could prepare.
- Also, for the following week, please send me any thoughts or ideas you have for art projects I could conceivably do in a day. Obviously I'm planning to do a painting, and a friend is going to let me make something in her ceramics studio, but i'd appreciate any non-photo related suggestions that any of your art folks out there got for me

Ok that's it for now. Next up, Unitarianism.

Digg this

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, On the food week, maybe you could cook a different "food base", like rice, potato, pasta, couscous, beans, and combine this with one day meat, then fish, then veggie... P

Anonymous said...

So, I was raised Unitarian but always had trouble defining it to people who asked. Let me know when you figure it out.
I do get excited when I find out that people I admire are/were Unitarians (Darwin, Thoreau, for example.. lots more: www.famousuus.com)

And as far as cooking, making soup is one of my favorite things and really easy. Plus theres room for creativity.

HaHa said...

As for the arty week::
1. collage
2. paper mache object
3. sew something
4. repurpose an everyday object
5. comic book about the adventures of jeffrey beaumont
6. make cards (and give them out.)

E-BAD said...

Grilled Olivado Sea Bass with Crisp Fruit Avocado Hash


* 2 avocados, medium ripe, pit removed, peeled and flesh diced into 1/4-inch cubes
* 2 limes juiced, seeds removed
* 1 Granny Smith apple, quartered and diced into 1/4-inch cubes
* 1 Bosc pear, quartered and diced into 1/4-inch cubes
* 1 ripe mango, peeled, pit removed and flesh diced into 1/4-inch cubes
* 1/4 cup fresh strawberries, tops removed, and diced into 1/4-inch cubes
* 1/4 cup Avocado Oil
* 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
* 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
* 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
* 2 tablespoons kosher salt
* 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper


Chilean Sea Bass:

* 4 - 6 ounce portions of fresh Chilean Sea Bass
* Olivado Avocado Oil to coat fish
* Kosher salt and black pepper to taste


Olivado, Cucumber Granita:

* Juice of 3 limes
* Zest of 1 lime
* 1 avocado, pit removed and peeled
* 1 cup English cucumber, peeled, seeded, and diced
* 1/4 cup Olivado Avocado Oil
* 2 tablespoons fresh mint
* 1/4 cup simple syrup


Preparation
Dice all fruit avocado hash ingredients and reserve in a medium-sized mixing bowl.
Add Avocado Oil, vinegar, lime juice, zest, fresh herbs, and salt and pepper to taste
Correct for seasoning.

Pre-heat a grill or sauté pan.
Brush Avocado Oil over Sea Bass and season with salt and pepper.
Grill fish until it is no longer opaque or sauté until cooked through.

To plate: Place 1/2 cup hash on the bottom of a serving plate and top with the grilled or seared fish.
Drizzle Olivado Avocado Oil on top and around side of fish.

Puree all ingredients in a food processor or blender.
Pour mixture into a shallow container (9x9 cake pan works well).
Freeze for about 1 hour or until mixture is solid.
Rake mixture with fork to achieve a snow-like consistency.


This is very summery, but I want to to make it so that I can eat it anyway. I also have many art ideas... what if you cut up many maps and collaged them back together in order to construct an imaginary land.

Jessica said...

Ben -
A great dish to make on your own that's easy and so yummy is homemade mac and cheese! Add anything you like - peas are my favorite addition to it. Best thing - left overs for lunch the next day.

Love,
J.

Hyperliving Google Calendar, Click + to Subscribe