Forecast for the Future

"Every individual without exception bears a potential writer within himself. The reason is that everyone has trouble accepting the fact that he will disappear unheard of and unnoticed in an indifferent universe, and everyone wants to make himself into a universe of words before it's too late. 

Once the writer in every individual comes to life (and that time is not that far off), we are in for an age of universal deafness and lack of understanding."

- Milan Kundera, The Book of Laughter and Forgetting

Saturday, May 2, 2009

May Is Here



May is here and another month of activities must be established. I will be checking in with you soon about them, but I can tell you that I am feeling particularly inspired about the great possibilities of life right now (as also documented frequently here and here).

My biking plan is well underway and I have now done twenty-three rides totalling 595 miles twenty-five rides totalling 658 miles [Ed: did two rides at 63 miles today after posting this morning] since March 14, 2009, which I feel good about especially considering that I lost two weekends to rain (boo!) and Berlin (yay!). The Montauk Century is in just two weeks and this year I am ready and raring to do the full 100 miles. My training partner Mike and I have put in three 60+ rides but so far nothing longer than 71; however, I feel pretty good that on May 17 I'll have no trouble dialing it up for the full 100.

It's amazing how far I feel I've come in a year. It was almost exactly one year ago that I began biking at all for the first time in many years, and for the first time ever on the road, on a road bike. And in two weeks at Montauk will come the anniversary of my first "real" ride, the Montauk 65 miler. I feel so much stronger now, to an amazing degree, and it just makes me feel good about the great possibilities of will power and a strong mind--I feel these days like I can do anything if I really want to. Which, maybe, is how things should have always been, but truthfully, they haven't. So, you get what we have here today.

Digg this

No comments:

Hyperliving Google Calendar, Click + to Subscribe