Forecast for the Future

"Every individual without exception bears a potential writer within himself. The reason is that everyone has trouble accepting the fact that he will disappear unheard of and unnoticed in an indifferent universe, and everyone wants to make himself into a universe of words before it's too late. 

Once the writer in every individual comes to life (and that time is not that far off), we are in for an age of universal deafness and lack of understanding."

- Milan Kundera, The Book of Laughter and Forgetting

Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Week 18: Book Reading

Due to factors both out of my hands and completely and totally within my hands, I have delayed the start of Week 18 until today. But now we are back on track, and my brief Hyperliving break concludes.

This week I will learn about the world by engaging in 3 hours of book reading every day. Though I read a tremendous amount of text each day, the vast majority of it comes to me via computers and most importantly, short term/short attention span digestion forms. Articles, columns, tables, blurbs, etc. I used to read books voraciously, until the Internet took over my life and turned me into a drone. I even joined a book club in February, which has begun to rekindle my love of paper, but I am still looking to have the kind of day-in-day-out experiences of reading books until my brain hurts or my dad comes in my bedroom and yells at me for still having the lights on.

I will fill you in on each of my book reading choices (hopefully a few). Note any brief reading I accomplish on my 25 minute subway ride to and from work will be in addition to the main 3 hour block of daily reading.

cheers,
JB

Digg this

No comments:

Hyperliving Google Calendar, Click + to Subscribe