Forecast for the Future

"Every individual without exception bears a potential writer within himself. The reason is that everyone has trouble accepting the fact that he will disappear unheard of and unnoticed in an indifferent universe, and everyone wants to make himself into a universe of words before it's too late. 

Once the writer in every individual comes to life (and that time is not that far off), we are in for an age of universal deafness and lack of understanding."

- Milan Kundera, The Book of Laughter and Forgetting

Friday, April 10, 2009

Thursday: Eggplant & Artichoke Extraordinaire


Baked artichoke hearts and dill-mayo dip


Today I finally brought my lunch with me, happily both saving me dollars and bringing me food joy. I brought some leftover portobello-asparagus pasta and some arugula with a small amount of dressing stored in a tincture jar formerly containing stepdad's homemade Elderberry extract. A healthy and frugal 'yum'.

Far more exciting than that though was dinner tonight, which was prepared largely by Amy and shared with our colleague and joymaker Jayson Greene.



As you can see from the photo above, dinner consisted of: grilled eggplant, steamed chard with white beans and red pepper flakes, peppered cucumber slices, and grilled pitas (seasoned with olive oil and pepper).

I continually marvel at the creativity and general excellence of my sister as a cook. Mom, you did a pretty great job. A .500 average ain't the worst thing in the world, right?

It will be a curious way to wrap this week up by eating a secular Easter ham on Sunday.

Digg this

2 comments:

Logan said...

Amy > Amelia.

Also, why the .500 comment? Self-deprecation is not allowed, sir. I mean, I can do it, but nobody else.

Nihilist Loves Hate, Hates Everything said...

Point 1: agreed

Point 2: noted, and theoretically agreed upon. we roll how we roll, you know? though i occasionally do try to roll otherwise...

Hyperliving Google Calendar, Click + to Subscribe