Forecast for the Future

"Every individual without exception bears a potential writer within himself. The reason is that everyone has trouble accepting the fact that he will disappear unheard of and unnoticed in an indifferent universe, and everyone wants to make himself into a universe of words before it's too late. 

Once the writer in every individual comes to life (and that time is not that far off), we are in for an age of universal deafness and lack of understanding."

- Milan Kundera, The Book of Laughter and Forgetting

Saturday, January 26, 2008

Week 3, Day 7 Mix-a-Day: The Baroque Pop of the Harpsichord

I am struggling this week. Not only have I still not completed enough mixes yet (nor all the right ones), but my friend who is in town has informed me that he is taking back his beautiful, crisp Yamaha speakers that have been powering my living rooms sound systems--and, by extension, my life--for the past three years. These speakers have pumped so much sonic blood into my ears and through my mind and heart that I'm having trouble imagining life without them. But I guess 2008 is all about new beginnings and stepping outside my comfort zone, so here goes.

Speaking of stepping outside my comfort zone, it's also a strange coincidence that my speakers are being taken away from me on the day that begins my week of "abstaining from aural pleasure." This means that finishing my last two mixes ain't gonna be happen this week. But friends, I will follow through: my remaining mixes will come to you, at some point. I received so many great ideas for mixes, but many of them should require an entire week of research and investigation unto themselves--doing them in a day would pretty much ensure that they'd be a waste of time. Which means that I can't do them now, but I will do them. Oh yes, I will do them. A list shall be posted and I obligate myself to complete them.

And now, on to today.



Today's mix features songs that utilize that great but somewhat forgotten instrument, the harpsichord. I have some things to say about the harpischord. I will say them later (tomorrow) as revisions to this post. But here's the mix for now:

The Baroque Pop of the Harpischord (click to download)




No joke, this harpsichord is constructed entirely out of Legos. Seriously.

Digg this

No comments:

Hyperliving Google Calendar, Click + to Subscribe